Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Custom Dress Form



I originally found this idea in a sewing magazine and decided to make my own this summer after getting tons of clothes from friends and thrift stores. Considering all the alterations I knew I would be making, I figured having an exact replica of myself would simplify things. 

Honestly, I haven't used it as much as I had planned but I think that's mostly because I've been doing only simple alterations. If/when I build a dress from scratch, this thing will be put to work! But I think I've lost some weight since making it because I put a vest on it the other day and it wouldn't close on the form but is loose on me. I may have to make new one soon.

The process was simple but time-consuming. Shout out to my best buds Mike and Kirsten for helping. It took some time and they were very patient and kind to "volunteer" for the job.


Step 1: Put on an old t-shirt start wrapping a lot of duct tape. This is where the loving and devoted friends come in handy. Have one of these incredible friends carefully cut a
 line straight up the back when you're done to take the "cast" off.


Step 2: Finish covering the form in whatever color duct tape you want and stuff it. I'm weird about buying stuffing unless it's completely necessary so I just used anything I could find.


Step 3: Cover the neck and arm wholes smoothly with duct tape and add a wide, sturdy base. I used an old Indiana license plate so the Hoosier state will always be my foundation... :)


Optional: You can add a hanger like I did but, if you are planning on hanging it up to work with, I would suggest not stuffing it with towels, sweaters and hoodies like I did. My form was so heavy that the hanger popped out as soon as I picked it up. Still, having the shoulder of the hanger inside the form helps add structure to the shoulders. 

You can also add a pole in the bottom of the form. I knew I had to transport this thing in my little Honda Civic to North Carolina weeks after making it and I didn't want to worry about making/finding a pole and base strong enough to hold the whole form straight up. I just keep mine on my sewing desk and it seems to work fine for now.


There are tons of examples and different ways to do this online. My sister and I might make one for 
her out of paper mache, she thinks it'll be easier to make and to stick pins in when it's done. 
I just think it will be a longer, more miserable process. We'll see who's right.
 I'll be sure to do a post if we try it to compare the methods. 

If you do sew or are starting to learn, I think this is a huge help to really see how 
things fit and hang. Nothing is more frustrating and back-breaking than trying to 
make marks and cuts while wearing something, I've tried!

THANKS FOR READING

No comments:

Post a Comment