Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thrift Store Re-Do: Floral Dress

This summer, for a grand total of $40, I bought or received enough clothes to create an entirely new wardrobe. Two giant garbage bags of hand-me-downs from friends (Thanks, Cort and Dee!) and a few thrift stores in Colorado I was set. It's now over 6 months later and I'm just getting to some of the alterations and some I've had done for months but haven't posted... until now!

The before photo is pretty awful. I apologize.

I found this "teacher dress" at an ARC in Fort Collins while Kirsten and I were visiting the lovely Molly. When I showed it to one of my most fashionable and brutally honest friends, he tried to chop it up with scissors and threatened to burn it. He said it hurt his eyes. Oh, Mikey, how I love you. When I sent him the after picture, he took it all back.

With Kirsten's "soft cardigan"

The process was shockingly simple and quick. I cut a straight line across the top just below the armpit seem, hemmed it and gathered the fabric for about 2 or 3 inches at the top. That's it!

With a tank top and belt

The only problem I've run in to is keeping it up since it's strapless. I usually either layer a tank top underneath or at a cover so I don't have to deal with constantly pulling it up. A belt makes a big difference, too. I might add straps but I like the flexibility of layering it with different things.

With my favorite cover-up-thing

So, that's all. Just thought I'd share. Tell me your thoughts and I recommend doing this with any "potentially-cute-but-ruined-by-sleeves-and-shoulder-pads" thrift store dress you can find. 

I'll try to post more re-do's soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment